Verizon Wireless instating $30 mobile device upgrade fee April 22nd

SystemSystem Posts: 165Administrator
edited April 2012 in 9to5mac.com Comments
Following suit with other carriers, Verizon Wireless announced this morning its plan to instate a $30 mobile device upgrade fee on April 22nd. This means if you’re an existing Verizon customer looking to purchase a new device on a two-year contract, you’ll have to pay $30.  Thanks!

Read the full story here

Post edited by JordanKahn on

Comments

• Sort by PointsDate Added
  • Daniel Van LiereDaniel Van Liere Posts: 1Member
    poor wireless companies not making any money. of course you can charge additional fees. you need to supplement those text messages and data packages that are obviously to low and hurting the bottom line
  • JD929BJD929B Posts: 244Member
    edited April 2012
    A hidden price increase, for the favor of switching devices, which takes all of a minute to enter.  Cute.
    Post edited by JD929B on
  • itsalexayeitsalexaye Posts: 291Member
    You'd think that this cost would be in the cost of the phone, especially with a lot of Verizon's LTE devices being $299. every other carrier's highest priced phone (on contract) is $199.
  • thegraphicmacthegraphicmac Posts: 55Member
    Wait. So am I reading this right? If my contract expires, and I buy a new iPhone and sign a new 2 year contract, they STILL are going to charge me $30 simply because I'm an existing customer? WTF????
  • GabeLGabeL Posts: 2Member
    Lets just tell it like it is…. Verizon needs to make up for the huge subsidies they pay for the iPhone.  
  • mykemyke Posts: 28Member
    So not only will you have to pay a line activation fee, you have to this unfounded fee as well!! oh come on! since when did either of those things actually cost real money?
  • wassghawassgha Posts: 26Member
    "This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever."
    > Longest sentence on 9to5mac!
  • Tallest_SkilTallest_Skil Posts: 2,357Member
    Lets just tell it like it is…. Verizon needs to make up for the huge subsidies they pay for the iPhone.  
    They make that up in the two years we pay extortionate prices monthly. All carriers do.
  • GabeLGabeL Posts: 2Member

They make that up in the two years we pay extortionate prices monthly. All carriers do.
    They make TONS less on every iPhone they sell…..   http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/technology/iphone_carrier_subsidy/index.htm
  • Tallest_SkilTallest_Skil Posts: 2,357Member
    They make TONS less on every iPhone they sell…..   http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/technology/iphone_carrier_subsidy/index.htm
    And how is this proof of anything? They subsidize every phone by the same amount. Or even MORE than the iPhone. It's not the iPhone that causes their problems, it's idiocy.

They make over $2,000 over the course of a 2 year contract. An iPhone is $600, cost, to them. Until you can tell us the telecoms' operating costs for an individual device, you have no argument about how much money they "lose". 

And what idiot would allow ANY money to be lost? They make money on every account.
  • mykemyke Posts: 28Member
    "This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever."

i understand service and support but honestly that should be built into the monthly service charges. as far to say you are using this fee for Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts ". then charge the 10% who use the services not everyone. Wait did you say something about experts...... ummm in what??? translating VZ bills beyond that nothing special here.
  • DanDan Posts: 208Member, Moderator
    This is one business trend I hope stays in the US. I can't see who stands to benifit for this tax?
  • DiggedyDaveDiggedyDave Posts: 3Member
    Translation?  We want to upgrade our business with out actually earning the money it takes to do so.
  • DanDan Posts: 208Member, Moderator
    This is one business trend I hope stays in the US. I can't see who stands to benifit for this tax?

How do I deserve to be voted down for this? Do you work for Verizon or Vodaphone?
  • Kevin HancoxKevin Hancox Posts: 44Member
    I really pity you guys in the US getting ripped off... We have moved over to 18 month and 2 year contracts in the UK now, they used to be 12 month, a way of earning more money for the mobile companies, as phones have always been subsidised.

However, we have very good sim only tariffs available, so don't sign a contract, just buy an unlocked sim free phone direct from Apple. yeah you pay £500 in the UK, but like me, i have a £20 monthly sim only 1 month notice contract and get 1200 text, 1200 minutes and unlimited data and wifi. The upside, NO CONTRACT so can upgrade every year, oh and the fact that the nearest tariff i could find to give me close to what i use on data is £75 a month, so saving £55 a month over the 12 months more than pays for the phone, and i don;t have to wait 2 years, add into that the phone is very resell able after 12 months, and can get about £300 2nd hand for it, and it is a no brainer....!

Walk away from contracts if you can afford it, and go sim only is my advice...
  • samuelianadamssamuelianadams Posts: 4Member
    Sounds like I'll just switch carriers every two years...
  • ctt1wbwctt1wbw Posts: 17Member
    I criticized Verizon for doing this over at the article on BGR and caused a firestorm.  I'm still laughing!  It amazes me that nobody gets the point of my argument.  It costs the carriers $30 for some flunky to walk to the storeroom and get you a new phone?  That's basically what the upgrade fee is for.  On top of the cost of the phone and on top of signing a new contract.  It's basically just $30 in extra money.  It doesn't have to do anything with the running of the business.  It's called a FEE for a reason.
  • AttilaTheHunAttilaTheHun Posts: 16Member
    edited April 2012
    I never paid activation fees, it was always waived AT&T
    Post edited by AttilaTheHun on