Is the Apple TV worth it?

trolleyForTwotrolleyForTwo Posts: 4Member
edited April 2012 in Apple TV
Hello all. 
I have 21 movies, a Netflix account, and about 14 TV shows. I received a Roku last Christmas and it works very well. However, I cannot stop looking at the Apple TV. For those who have it, is it worth it? 
-Cade
Post edited by trolleyForTwo on

Best Answers

Answers

• trolleyForTwotrolleyForTwo Posts: 4Member
    Looks like the overall answer is to stay with Roku. Very helpful answers :D thanks everyone. 
  • kamakirikamakiri Posts: 2Member
    edited September 2012
    You're kidding, right? Is mentioning jailbreaking banned on these forums? Umm, simply jailbreaking your ATV2 makes it worth, in my estimation, thousands of dollars. Actually, in this day and age, jailbroken, it's priceless.
    Post edited by kamakiri on
  • rmhammerrmhammer Posts: 18Member
    Personally I like the WD Live product.  It plays almost every type of media, including .iso files (they don't advertise that).  Best value at just under 100 bucks.
  • shameershameer Posts: 328Member

kamakiri said:
    You're kidding, right? Is mentioning jailbreaking banned on these forums? Umm, simply jailbreaking your ATV2 makes it worth, in my estimation, thousands of dollars. Actually, in this day and age, jailbroken, it's priceless.
    If you say it's priceless, I'll sell you mine for 1,000 USD =D
  • SpiritDaveSpiritDave Posts: 7Member
    I love my Apple TV.  I actually have two of them.  3rd Gen. They're brilliant.  I have Netflix and I buy iTunes movies as well as have an iTunes Match account.  So it makes huge amounts of sense for me.
  • grbladegrblade Posts: 54Member
    I had the last gen and now the 3rd gen. Honestly, for $99 you can't go wrong. If you like Apple products, and especially if you have an iPhone where you can interface with the Apple TV, you'll like this. They keep adding new apps and features. And your iTunes purchases like movies, TV shows and music will all play over the internet from Apple without having to stream from another device. I say go for it.
  • bamaapplebamaapple Posts: 100Member
    I will tell you this, I recived an apple tv for Christmas and I got to say I love it! ILOVE airplay! now, if you wait, you can get the ITV that is rumored ( i think its coming). If i were you go to a apple store to test it out!
  • bamaapplebamaapple Posts: 100Member
    And you cant beat the price for 99.00 I say worth it!

• technochicktechnochick Posts: 520Member
    This is a question that is partially personal opinion and taste. 

Do you use hulu and/or netflix. 

do you buy music or video from itunes. 

do you have an iOS device and do you use any Airplay compatible apps on it such as games. 

if you can answer yes then it would likely be worth it. if not then perhaps it won't be. Especially if you do most of your media off blu-ray as many of them these days have netflix etc on them. 
  • dekdjdekdj Posts: 3Member
    A friend had suggested ATV. I have been researching the product, including the jail break versions. The only reason I am holding off buying is that there might be a New version.
  • dekdjdekdj Posts: 3Member
    Mac Rumors Website recommended holding off for now On the purchase of an Apple TV. The Apple event is on Tuesday, September 10. Looking forward to a few surprises.