Mac OS or Windows ?

AdioAdio Posts: 24Member
edited April 2012 in OS X
Which OS has better features and compatibility?
Post edited by Shuster on

Best Answers

• Sort by PointsDate Added
  • leemoonanleemoonan Posts: 30
    Answer ✓
    it depends what you want to use it for.  For what i need and expect from an operating system OSX is far superior to Windows.
  • johnkeller101johnkeller101 Posts: 30
    Answer ✓
    I've worked with both operating systems and I have to say that Mac OS beats Windows on a number of levels:
    • Limited number of viruses
    • Built in apps (iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes)
    • Final Cut Pro
    • The UI is much more intuitive than Windows
    • When you update OSX is much cheaper than Windows
    • The list goes on but I have a limited usage of Windows
  • Nick FallavollitaNick Fallavollita Posts: 78
    Answer ✓
    it depends what you want to use it for.  For what i need and expect from an operating system OSX is far superior to Windows.
    @leemoonan is right. I use both. Im a system administrator and my main work is done on a windows machine. when im at home and not doing anything i will always use mac osx over windows. Its about what you like.
  • dkayedkaye Posts: 21
    Answer ✓
    after years of PC, made the move to Mac couple of years ago. regret not making the switch sooner. at office, am the lone renegade working on Mac platform. prefer the OS over windows and wish could gain greater adoption at work. sadly, won't happen anytime soon.
  • JoshHopkinsJoshHopkins Posts: 29
    Answer ✓
    I use OS X for the simplicity and for the lack of problems. I used Windows for about 7 years but my migration to OS X over the past year hasnt been regretted one bit. Everything just works.
  • leemoonanleemoonan Posts: 30
    Answer ✓
    Guys mac is far more beautiful than windows. The UI. The appstore.
    But when it comes to functionality, windows is far better.
    Windows is made on DOS kernel which made it possible for developers to make high efficiency games for windows, not mac.
    Mac is running on UNIX kernel, which is total crap.
    "Steve jobs was just a salesman and didn't knew anything about technology." - Bill Gates
    You see you have this all wrong, i am a graphic designer and i would never ever have a Windows machine over a Mac, the OS on Macs handle the programs i need far better than Windows would, i have tried windows and it just doesn't work as well.  Also your Bill Gates point is invalid, Windows was basically stolen from ZEROX
  • R2D2R2D2 Posts: 23
    Answer ✓
    I like both but I can honestly say, after switching to mac a few years ago, I think OSX is better in nearly every way imaginable. But, I don't hate windows just because I own a mac. Windows 7 is a pretty solid OS for windows. 

Answers

• AdioAdio Posts: 24Member

@leemoonan is right. I use both. Im a system administrator and my main work is done on a windows machine. when im at home and not doing anything i will always use mac osx over windows. Its about what you like.

I've worked with both operating systems and I have to say that Mac OS beats Windows on a number of levels:
    • Limited number of viruses
    • Built in apps (iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes)
    • Final Cut Pro
    • The UI is much more intuitive than Windows
    • When you update OSX is much cheaper than Windows
    • The list goes on but I have a limited usage of Windows

Windows is made on DOS kernel which made it possible for developers to make high efficiency games for windows, not mac.
    "Steve jobs was just a salesman and didn't knew anything about technology." - Bill Gates
  • wphilipsenwphilipsen Posts: 5Member

I've been a Mac since birth (Dad was a grphic designer), so i grew up with the Qudro, Performa and all the golden oldies.

Now I work in IT, exclusively on Windows due to their (admittedly) great enterprise software. But i constantly find myself missing features from the Mac, like Mission Control, The Dock, Spaces and the unified menubar.

I like Aero Snap in windows 7, but thats about the only feature (IMO) that Windows has over Mac.

Theres no doubt, that I would choose a Mac's functionality and features, over that of Windows.

• Recylops117Recylops117 Posts: 207Member
    Whew okay here we go. 
    To find out which system is better we have to go into the core of how a computer is made. Apple makes both hardware and software at the same time which allows them to be more seamlessly integrated. Since PC's are made with software and hardware from two different companies, for example Microsoft/Dell Microsoft/HP etc. this will ultimately result in a machine loaded with crapware and in the long run a machine of lesser quality. One point that has been made against Macs is the price, but one key reason they cost more, is because they last longer. On average Macs last 7-10 years while PC's run well for about 3-5 years. If you too the math having to buy a new PC every time will end up costing more than one Mac will last you. One other reason Macs are superior is the OS it self. Mac OS X is vastly superior than Windows, OS X includes more user friendly features, also Apple offers yearly updates to their operating system which can be easily renewed from the Mac App Store, for around 20-25 dollars compared to windows updating their OS's every say 7 years for a lot more. As I just mentioned OS X also offers a larger variety of applications that are better quality than something you would find online for windows, and thats also designed to work better for macs. Another good reason to buy a Mac is Apple will support for machine A LOT longer than... Microsoft will... no wait HP! see? Apple will always offer support for older machines than whoever will care at those other companies. And whenever you have a problem with your mac you can take it too your local Apple store, and not get ripped off with GeekSquad at say best buy. Another great reason to buy a Mac is they're simply beautifully designed. Although recently this opinion has changed, Macs don't get nearly as many viruses as PC's. The only thing that has changed recently is the guaranteed immunity from viruses. This is still true, Macs are fully protected from regular PC viruses that imbed themselves and harm your computer without you knowing, Macs only get a few viruses called trojans, but they only effect your computer if you allow them access as they can trick you, but it is quite easy to tell. Bottom line, speaking as a person who as owned both a Mac and a PC for a long time, I can personally guarantee you will love your Mac than you will ANY PC. 
  • DryuuDryuu Posts: 21Member
    You asked a simple question so I'll TRY to give a simple answer.
    Macs have everything Windows has- games, developers, productivity apps, very high level of compatibility with everything, high specs, but this is what is has that windows does not:
    -FAST and efficient start-up
    Windows you have to go through multiple loading screens.. it's so slow
    -1 out of 1000 chance of getting a virus
    -BUILT IN photo editing, movie editing and music editing. Windows DOES NOT have this
    -Number #1 computer for schools and media institutes. Macs are everywhere and no.1 preference in education. They are actually the no.1 education product company as well. So they know what they're doing.
    -Much simpler to use. Setup for a printer on my Windows took 15 minutes. On Mac is took 3. Literally.
    It is so user friendly and the people who made it UNDERSTAND how many people can't be bothered getting all technical with a computer, it is your friend, not nightmare!
    -Built-in camera, microphone, keyboard that lights up at night
    -BETTER battery life
    -Built-in dictionary, multiple desktops, advanced multitasking, app store (everything in one place), CHEAPER and more AFFORDABLE software that gets regular updates
    I mean Windows costs hundreds and comes with less and OS X costs $20 and is loaded! It's got mail apps, camera effects apps, messaging to phones and ipads, an app store with loads of free productivity games and apps...
    -You can run Windows on a Mac. The advantage with Windows is you can change the colour of the Windows, and it offers more games. But it is MUCH slower. I've used Windows for 7 years and Mac for 2 and I love the Mac more! 
    So you can get the best of both!
    -The CD drive is much better! It doesn't pop out, you put the CD in the slot and it sucks it in. It comes back out, straight in your hand. No tugging or pressing. It's so easy!
    -The keyboard is ergonomic and MUCH better for your hands. The keys you will ACTUALLY use are present, no useless controls, maybe except for 'control' which I never use.
    -It syncs with your iPhone and iPad. So your contacts and so on are shared between all your devices!
    -There is one version of OS X that comes with everything. It's an easy choice. With Windows there's loads of choices, and they can all disadvantage you. Mac is basically an ALL-IN-ONE thing. I see no reason to not get one. It WILL last you longer and is more fun and easy to use. Windows will slow down more easily, Windows is complicated and requires too much knowledge, plus it doesn't have as many good productivity apps. That's my side of the story there! I hope you choose a Mac!
  • squalicesqualice Posts: 44Member

You ask a question about which OS is better, yet you are completely biased against Mac already.
  • squalicesqualice Posts: 44Member
    Really you are on a Mac forum asking this stupid question???
    Really you are on a Mac forum saying something stupid???
  • choganjchoganj Posts: 1Member
    It depends upon your needs. 

If you want hardware customization and a large array of software then Windows OS is the better option for you.

However if you want solid/good hardware and secure software then Mac OS is the option.

I hope it would be of some help.
  • crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 416Member
    If you're into gaming, then Windows. If you want to do everything else, OS X is just way better than any other.
  • parsigi2parsigi2 Posts: 324Member
    Well, I'm going to try and be unbiased, because I own a PC (sadly).

PC does have some benefits over OS X, to be fair: Better for gaming (if you're into that), more apps (even though most are horrible), and hardware-wise, cheaper/upgradeable machines.

Other than that, OS X is less prone to viruses, seems much more polished to me, has some superior features, and hardware-wise, has really well-built machines.
  • ZeimaZeima Posts: 25Member
    OSX is a far better WRITTEN piece of software, in the way it talks to the hardware a lot better than Windows, but i suppose it's down to preference. 
  • dairyboydairyboy Posts: 110Member
    Time Machine is a fantastic fail safe too. Ive fixed a few pc's and macs in my time, and the PC's take forever to get everything backed up and restored/re-setup. Time machine makes simple file recovery easy, and makes total disaster recovery a snap. I'd never go without it now. Simple and Powerful.
  • koban4maxkoban4max Posts: 109Member
    windows causes problems like multiple crashes.