Where are the new Macs?

MarkMark Posts: 24Member, Moderator
edited April 2012 in Apple Hardware
What has happened to Apple's design? MacBook Pro design is from 2008, iMac design is from 2009, Mac Pro design is from... 2003. 
Post edited by Shuster on

Best Answer

Answers

• xxTigerSharkxxTigerShark Posts: 64Member
    I want that new MacBook Pro that Mike recommended.
  • MichaelMichael Posts: 91Member
    Apple no longer focuses on the Mac the way they used to, with the exception of the MacBook Air. The designs are now only updated when they begin to look outdated or when necessary, as the majority of Apple's revenue comes from iOS devices. 
  • dkayedkaye Posts: 21Member
    Despite the major lack of design updates for Macs, it seems the rest of the industry continues to do its best to mimic currently available Macs with ultrabooks. The most recent one I noticed, the new Lenovo laptop, bears a striking resemblance to the MBP.
  • iJcaPiJcaP Posts: 109Member
    If there was some type of redesign I'm sure leaks would have appeared by now, especially in the April/May/June release date. Probably (but hopefully not) we see Ivy Bridge on the current Macs. I'm dying for something powerful and portable. The Air is at the top of my list, but if rumors are correct that will soon change....
  • Tallest_SkilTallest_Skil Posts: 2,357Member
    Who cares about the cases? People clamoring for case designs care nothing for their device save to be able to say, "I have the newest model." How insecure can one get?

I want no new designs unless said changes can be explained as better. Difference for its own sake is foolishness, and it's what has caused HTC to kill itself, releasing a new device with a new case every month.

As for actual updates, only the Mac Pro is past its due date. None of the other computers have appropriate chips released yet, so we CAN'T see updates.
  • LastMinuteMikeLastMinuteMike Posts: 32Member
    Well, there are loads of rumors out there about a new MacBook Pro design, so we should expect that. And as you point out the iMac's design is about three years old now, so we should expect something new there too, nothing major, but something.

As for the Mac Pro, I have no idea. It feels like Apple doesn't want to keep it alive, but if they chose to, they would do the bare minimum and only refresh the internals, keeping with the same case. 

But really, I'm just throwing things out here, I have no clue.

And as @Tallest_Skil says, "Difference for its own sake is foolishness".
  • Wojciech NiemczykWojciech Niemczyk Posts: 4Member
    I think June/July will bring us a massive redesign of the Mac line with Mac Pro's, iMacs and Macbook Air-like set.
    IPhone with an aluminium enclosure is also a highly probable option. Maybe even with IPhone Smart Cover (?)

Well, yeah... at least its good to dream from time to time... :)
  • NathanNathan Posts: 99Member
    Personally I think apple will make the iMac and MacBook pro thinner, and fingers crossed a MacBook Air style MacBook pro without reduced specs
  • sknafsknaf Posts: 1Member
    I have only purchased MBP's (&iPads) to date, but I am looking to replace a wintel PC with a Mac Pro.  It seems Apple was waiting for an Intel release which just happened.
    Hopping for a release soon, as the Mac Pros need a technology update (and I don't care about the case)

~Knaf
  • RatRat Posts: 113Member
    I want no new designs unless said changes can be explained as better. Difference for its own sake is foolishness, and it's what has caused HTC to kill itself, releasing a new device with a new case every month.
    Pretty much what's said there. That also describes my opinion on the iPhone 4S, and why I didn't understand the people getting angry at lack of outside redesign.

If the design you already have is the best you can currently create, why change it?
  • KadangKadang Posts: 24Member
    Well - count me in on the next iMac refresh! 27" or better ;;)
  • PhilPhil Posts: 17Member
    I think June/July will bring us a massive redesign of the Mac line with Mac Pro's, iMacs and Macbook Air-like set.
    IPhone with an aluminium enclosure is also a highly probable option. Maybe even with IPhone Smart Cover (?)

Well, yeah... at least its good to dream from time to time... :)

I was just thinking about an iPhone smart cover since I just got one for my iPad, I think it would be an awesome idea.
  • thegraphicmacthegraphicmac Posts: 55Member
    I'm not sure what Apple could do to improve the iMac beyond larger displays, faster processors & graphics chips, perhaps a higher resolution iSight camera, etc... The design of the case itself is pretty much all screen as it is, so I can't think of what else they could do to it.

I would hate to see Apple remove the optical drive from the iMac simply to make the case thinner. I don't even know that removing it would make a difference.

The laptop line, obviously, will move toward the "Air" - so this is where we're likely to see major case/design changes.
  • Geezy_GeezyGeezy_Geezy Posts: 1Member
    I'm looking forward to a MacBook Pro that looks something like the following...

http://9to5mac.com/2011/02/16/we-like-intels-new-laptop-ads/

That Lapps looks like it would be an awesome design!
  • Griffin JonesGriffin Jones Posts: 30Member
    I sure hope they keep the Mac Pro alive... If they do eliminate it then they should at least make the iMac more upgradable.
  • parsigi2parsigi2 Posts: 324Member
    edited October 2012
    I'm not sure what Apple could do to improve the iMac beyond larger displays, faster processors & graphics chips, perhaps a higher resolution iSight camera, etc... The design of the case itself is pretty much all screen as it is, so I can't think of what else they could do to it.

I would hate to see Apple remove the optical drive from the iMac simply to make the case thinner. I don't even know that removing it would make a difference.

The laptop line, obviously, will move toward the "Air" - so this is where we're likely to see major case/design changes.
    While I do agree with the fact that a desktop doesn't need to be thin, I hope they remove the optical drive from ALL of their machines.

Let's take a history lesson: All throughout Apple's history, they've always been the "pusher." They push the industry into the next era. The next era is all digital. If apple kept the CD drive, nobody would bother making/buying digital software.

That's why Apple removed floppy drives/firewire early on from its computers. 

Let me give you a example: If Apple sold a digital version of OS X AND a physical version, nobody would buy the digital one. By taking away the option of a physical version, Apple PUSHED people towards digital (and a lack of a CD drive will too). 
    Post edited by parsigi2 on
  • [quote]That's why Apple removed floppy drives/firewire early on from its computers.[/quote]

Erm... no they didn't. One MacBook family didn't have FireWire, and the MacBook Air doesn't have FireWire because there's no room for one.

Mac Mini? Has FW800. iMac? Has FW800. Mac Pro? FW800. MacBook Pro? FW800. 
  • jzarobjzarob Posts: 22Member
    The problem is that pretty much all of Apple's Mac line has reached design perfection. I'm not going to lie, it would be nice to have a MacBook or iMac with a radically different design. However, the current products already look great, so why change them?