Should i buy an Apple TV 3rd Generation or wait for the next generation.

MrMattBMrMattB Posts: 31Member
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
I want to buy an Apple TV to be able to use airplay streaming. Should I buy an Apple TV 3rd generation or wait for the 4th generation. I don't think that they will release a new apple tv this year because it is all ready running at 1080p and it runs faster enough. 

Any Opinions?

Post edited by MrMattB on

Comments

• Sort by PointsDate Added
  • parsigi2parsigi2 Posts: 324Member

I think that you should just buy it. Apple TV's aren't updated on a yearly basis. The 3rd Apple TV was release 1.5 years after the first. If they are going to release a 4th gen, it will likely come out towards the end of 2013 (which is far off). And like you said, it is already 1080p and it's fast enough.

However, if you beleive the Apple TV rumors, the it's a different story. Remember, Tim said that they are going to keep pulling the string farther and farther with the TV market. However, my advice is just to get the current box-top Apple TV.

• MrMattBMrMattB Posts: 31Member
    parsigi2 said:

I think that you should just buy it. Apple TV's aren't updated on a yearly basis. The 3rd Apple TV was release 1.5 years after the first. If they are going to release a 4th gen, it will likely come out towards the end of 2013 (which is far off). And like you said, it is already 1080p and it's fast enough.

However, if you beleive the Apple TV rumors, the it's a different story. Remember, Tim said that they are going to keep pulling the string farther and farther with the TV market. However, my advice is just to get the current box-top Apple TV.

I think I will take your advice and just by an Apple Tv. 
  • parsigi2parsigi2 Posts: 324Member
    parsigi2 said:

*1.5 years after the second, not the first
    Sorry :P
  • jasontohealjasontoheal Posts: 20Member
    i vote just buy it. who knows when the next one will arrive, and they are not very expensive. they have pretty good resale value too like most apple products.
  • stewartknightstewartknight Posts: 2Member
    If the ATV does what you want NOW buy it. Apple has a habit of releasing products that are NOT compatible with "older spec" hardware!
  • ParkerParker Posts: 11Member
    Apple TV is not expensive... but I think you should wait for the next gen.

btw. Apple tv 3rd gen is OK for me.
  • bamaapplebamaapple Posts: 100Member
    I have the 3rd and I love it!! I would say to buy the 3rd because it probably will not be that big of an update. Unless ITV.
  • bamaapplebamaapple Posts: 100Member
    I know I said it but this is what I like about Apple TV ----------------------------------------------------------------- 1) it has airplay 2) it's simple 3) it has photo stream 4) Netflix 5) Hulu plus 6) movies (iTunes) 7) Bluetooth (update)
  • MichaelRGMichaelRG Posts: 76Member
    wait for the next one
  • smfgorillasmfgorilla Posts: 1Member
    edited October 2013
    I have the 3rd generation Apple TV top box and I love it. But I'm going to buy the 4th generation whenever it comes out, because it will have the 802.11ac latest wifi technology. I have the apple airport base extreme router and it will be AWSOME connected to my new apple router. That is why I'm going for the 4th generation Apple TV top box. I will sell my 3rd generation Apple TV top box.
    Post edited by smfgorilla on