Mac OS X 10.8: Mountain Lion on AMD tri-core processor architecture?

Tommeh_CrewsTommeh_Crews Posts: 33Member
edited September 2012 in OS X Mountain Lion
The title explains it. I can't afford a Mac, so I own a PC with good specs (they were good when I bought it in 2006): 8GB RAM, AMD Phenom II tri-core processor, 500GB SATA HDD, Radeon HD 3200 graphics. I need to know if there is any way to install a retail copy of Mountain Lion either to boot alongside Windows XP x64, Windows 7 Ultimate, and windows 8; or to run on VMWare workstation 8+. Thank you all for your interest.
Post edited by Shuster on

Comments

• Sort by PointsDate Added
  • dairyboydairyboy Posts: 110Member
    Hey Tommeh,

You should take a look at http://www.osx86project.org
    it has all the information you need to do what you are asking.

Ive built a hackintosh before, and it is best to spec your machine using the HCL (Hardware Compatability Lists). You are going to find that AMD cpu's are supported fine, but their montherboards not so much.
    You will have problems with the Radeon HD3200. I dont think you will ever get Quartz Extreme and Core Image accelerated graphics with that chipset. Best to spec a new budget intel machine with a gigabyte mainboard.

Prepare for it to be difficult, things you take for granted like ethernet/wifi, sound, and microphone input often need 'hacking' to work correctly or at all.

• vanheiservanheiser Posts: 2Member
    Hey Tommeh,

You can also take a look at this website: http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

They provide tools and great info with regards to building a hackintosh. They also provide a list of products that will allow you to custom build a cheap and working hackintosh.

As mentioned by dairyboy, with AMD you are gonna get a lot of problem with getting stuff to work. I got an incompatible motherboard and it takes quite a bit of time to actually figure out and to get it to work on Mountain Lion.
  • crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 416Member
    AMDs are known only to handle up to Snow Leopard (the most stable update). There is even no working support for Lion.

On an AMD therefore, you'll be pretty left out. Not to mention that many networking cards and audio devices are not supported, so yours may not even work properly in the first place. Check out Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Pagebefore making your mind and putting your foot down.

I think its best for you to stay with Windows right now (with an AMD). If you're feeling adventurous though, you can try the aforementioned links.
  • Tommeh_CrewsTommeh_Crews Posts: 33Member
    crysisftw said:
    AMDs are known only to handle up to Snow Leopard (the most stable update). There is even no working support for Lion.

On an AMD therefore, you'll be pretty left out. Not to mention that many networking cards and audio devices are not supported, so yours may not even work properly in the first place. Check out Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Pagebefore making your mind and putting your foot down.

I think its best for you to stay with Windows right now (with an AMD). If you're feeling adventurous though, you can try the aforementioned links.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mountain Lion natively supports some form of AMD architecture; perhaps I need to check my sources based on this. Thanks!
  • dairyboydairyboy Posts: 110Member
    I like the idea of running it as a guest OS in some virtualisation software. Heres a "pre-prepared" ISO for VMWare Workstation 8. Apparently graphics are unnecessarily slow though.

• crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 416Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mountain Lion natively supports some form of AMD architecture; perhaps I need to check my sources based on this. Thanks!
    That's is highly unlikely, not to mention if possible at all.

You still stand a better chance with Bulldozer as it supports SSSE2 but yours is a Phenom II (which supports SSE2 only).

The AMD hackintosh phase is pretty grim right now because even Lion is in a highly unstable pre-alpha works right now, so there's really no chance we can see an AMD Hackintosh on 10.7 or 10.8 anytime soon (that is, if it's possible in the first place).

My suggestion stays to steer clear of the unnecessary trouble. Trust me, I have a PC with a quad-core Phenom II and I've tried it. I bought the Snow Leopard for the job. Although that worked like a charm, I could never get to Lion. So I've uninstalled it and just kept Windows. Even if let's say that Phenom II works, there are other troubles like incompatible audio, networking and other stuff.

Virtualization is easy and fast but no fun. It runs horribly.
  • timbck2timbck2 Posts: 1Member
    There's no support in the Mac OS X kernel for AMD processors - just like there's no support for Intel Atom processors anymore. The kernel has been hacked in the past to add AMD support, but I don't think that has happened for any version past Snow Leopard.