Want to make a Mountain Lion USB stick or SD Card Installer? Here’s how

SystemSystem Posts: 165Administrator
edited July 2012 in 9to5mac.com Comments
imageWant to make a Mountain Lion USB stick or SD Card Installer? Here’s how

Apple will not be offering a USB or Optical Disk external installer to Mountain Lion (as far as we’ve heard).  But, that doesn’t mean you can’t sneaker net the install around your...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Sort by PointsDate Added
  • RvMoucheRvMouche Posts: 7Member
    It probably would be easier to use Apple's own tool for the job: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
  • RvMoucheRvMouche Posts: 7Member
    It probably would be easier to use Apple's own tool for the job: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Hi, I am Lion DiskMaker's Assistant. Sorry, but Recovery Assistant does only create a RECOVERY partition. If you boot on it, it will reinstall every time the full OS from the Internet on each machine… Lion DiskMaker allows to create a full install disk. Much better :)
    Oh, didn't know that. Than you're right and is Lion DiskMaker way better.

• Alvise PortinariAlvise Portinari Posts: 1Member
    edited July 2012
    nice!!
    Post edited by Alvise Portinari on
  • tomi2711tomi2711 Posts: 2Member
    I'm trying to make a clean restore. Like, booting from an external media and opening disk utility, formatting the whole hdd and installing OS X 10.8. This would work?
  • Rohan HarrisonRohan Harrison Posts: 1Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get it to work, it seems to work fine until (what I presume to be) one of the last steps. It takes nearly 30 minutes at that step and doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. Right now I formatted and partitioned the drive a little differently, trying it again. Maybe I'm just being impatient, but I don't think it should take 30 minutes on my class 10 (30 MB/s) SDHC card, and relatively fast system. The part where it takes ages just says "Copying file: total size is: 44551479 speedup is 0.99"
    Post edited by Rohan Harrison on
  • elijididelijidid Posts: 2Member
    Good idea...To bad It errors out... :( http://i.imgur.com/IDTLC.png
  • darmar80darmar80 Posts: 2Member
    It would be nice if Diskmaker shows a little bit more detailed status progress (during DVD burn). It was about 30min and I thought it hang out, but it wasn't :) ...it was almost done according to DVD's color-layer on bottom :) and then I had to repeat the burning...

Also, for those who didn't decided yet what to burn, I must say that DVD boot is really really slow :(
  • iNeedBassiNeedBass Posts: 12Member
    I don't have a USB stick at the moment, but I rather burn OS X Mountain Lion on a 8GB DVD.
  • Erik PavleticErik Pavletic Posts: 2Member
    I'm trying to make a clean restore. Like, booting from an external media and opening disk utility, formatting the whole hdd and installing OS X 10.8. This would work?
    This is what would interest me as well - Rather than slapping Mountain Lion on a existing installation I'd like the oportunity to swipe the disk and install OSX from scratch. Will I be able to do that with this solution (i.e. is it possible to boot from the USB stick so that i can access disk util. and format the disk before installation)?

• Erik PavleticErik Pavletic Posts: 2Member

This is what would interest me as well - Rather than slapping Mountain Lion on a existing installation I'd like the oportunity to swipe the disk and install OSX from scratch. Will I be able to do that with this solution (i.e. is it possible to boot from the USB stick so that i can access disk util. and format the disk before installation)?
    Allow me to answer my own dumb question, since it clearly says in the article that Lion DiskMaker creates a BOOTABLE USB installer. So yeah I guess it'll work.

• RikkRikk Posts: 1Member
    First, thanks for simplifying things. Be happy to donate. However, although the app (2.0.1) successfully completes and shows up in Start-Up Disk Pref Pane, a) my Mac Book Air (2011) will not let me get past the second "restart" button, and b) my MBP Retina gets hung on the grey screen with gear wheel and greyed-out "no go" icon. Suggestions?
  • Tim KinslowTim Kinslow Posts: 1Member
    hi

will the above process create a boot disk that will work on a windows intel laptop?

Thanks Tim
  • Tallest_SkilTallest_Skil Posts: 2,357Member
    hi will the above process create a boot disk that will work on a windows intel laptop? Thanks Tim
    Of course not.