iChat>Messages?

ParsigiParsigi Posts: 31Member
edited April 2012 in OS X
Do you think iChat is better that messages? I do, here's why I don't like messages:
1) Multiple people can't have a video conference 
2) No effects in video conferences:( Those were cool...
3) No audio calls
(Note: All of the above should come in a future FaceTime)
4) iChat had a better UI, you could see all of your contacts and more importantly, who was online so you can find someone to talk to without knowing exactly who to look for.

Post edited by Shuster on

Best Answer

Answers

• itsalexayeitsalexaye Posts: 291Member
    I think iMessage is better. Just wish that Apple would bring the support of Google Talk to it (and the other IM services as well). It looks better and seems to work even better now. Especially since it works on all Apple products (except the Apple TV).
  • Tallest_SkilTallest_Skil Posts: 2,357Member
    edited April 2012
    Do you think iChat is better that messages? I do, here's why I don't like messages:

BETA.  :-O
    That's because FaceTime doesn't do that yet. It still works perfectly fine if you're doing it with AIM and iChat contacts.
    3) No audio calls
    No, that will never happen. 
    4) iChat had a better UI, you could see all of your contacts and more importantly, who was online so you can find someone to talk to without knowing exactly who to look for.
    Messages' UI is better than iChat's. MY only complaint with the application is an inability to add your iMessage contacts to your buddy list, which I'm sure will be fixed in the final. 

At least, it better darn well be fixed. I realize that Messages in iOS doesn't show you a list of contacts off the bat, but that's more of a space issue. As there's no space issue on a desktop, they better give us a full list.

"Find someone to talk to without knowing exacting who to look for"? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Why would I want to talk to you if you don't care who you're doing it with? Do you see a problem here? What's the point of talking if you don't have a point to it? Seriously, I'd love an explanation for what you mean here… It sounds sort of dystopian.
    Post edited by Tallest_Skil on
  • itsalexayeitsalexaye Posts: 291Member
    I do want a video conference tool from Apple built in to iMessages, but the new iMessage UI is good. 
    I'd also love to see video conferencing built into iMessage, maybe merge facetime and iMessage together?
  • ParsigiParsigi Posts: 31Member
    EDIT:
    You can't share files either (i.e., view a keynote together)
  • Son Tran HusSon Tran Hus Posts: 5Member
    I want to buy a Macbook to use Ichat :( I only have an iphone
  • ParsigiParsigi Posts: 31Member

BETA.  :-O

That's because FaceTime doesn't do that yet. It still works perfectly fine if you're doing it with AIM and iChat contacts.
    3) No audio calls

No, that will never happen. 

Messages' UI is better than iChat's. MY only complaint with the application is an inability to add your iMessage contacts to your buddy list, which I'm sure will be fixed in the final. 

At least, it better darn well be fixed. I realize that Messages in iOS doesn't show you a list of contacts off the bat, but that's more of a space issue. As there's no space issue on a desktop, they better give us a full list.

"Find someone to talk to without knowing exacting who to look for"? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Why would I want to talk to you if you don't care who you're doing it with? Do you see a problem here? What's the point of talking if you don't have a point to it? Seriously, I'd love an explanation for what you mean here… It sounds sort of dystopian.
    I mean that if you just want to talk to someone, you could look at your buddy list in iChat to see who is online. You could easily find someone to talk to with looking for a specific person.
  • Tallest_SkilTallest_Skil Posts: 2,357Member
    I mean that if you just want to talk to someone, you could look at your buddy list in iChat to see who is online. You could easily find someone to talk to with looking for a specific person.
    Yes, exactly. That's what I mean. You can do that NOW, save for your iMessage contacts, which actually makes sense. Here's why:

First, iMessage queues offline messages. So does AIM, but that's beside the point; AIM only keeps, what, ten messages if you send them to someone when they're offline. iMessage just sends them all. And that's spectacular! iMessage also doesn't have any restrictions on what you can send when they're offline. AIM only allows text, but iMessage lets you still send anything.

Second, iMessage is handled as if everyone is always online all the time. This would get… interesting… if it was plopped down in the current iChat interface. They couldn't do that. They will have to (they won't do this, you know) differentiate visually and spatially between iMessage contacts and your other IM account contacts. THEN they could allow you to have a list of iMessage contacts available visually at all times.

But again, they won't do that. The solution they're using now is what they'll use going forward. It's terrible, but them's the breaks.
  • MichaelMichael Posts: 91Member
    I prefer the UI in Messages to what was in iChat. Much cleaner. 
  • ar_turnbullar_turnbull Posts: 16Member
    I love messages, even though it is in beta.  

The fact that you can start a conversation on your PC, and continue it on tablet/mobile is unreal.  Plus you never have to wait for people to come online.  It's constant connectivity to the people that matter to you.  That's a game changer.
  • koban4maxkoban4max Posts: 109Member
    Some of the people that i know don't have iPhones...so i was bummed about it.  I can only message to another idevices or os x ML.  If only apple can allow outsiders to message me.  Anyone know how?
  • bellasucksONmebellasucksONme Posts: 9Member
    koban4max said:
    Some of the people that i know don't have iPhones...so i was bummed about it.  I can only message to another idevices or os x ML.  If only apple can allow outsiders to message me.  Anyone know how?
    who cares the outsiders? u mean those guys with their big flat cheap junk plastic device  ?  i dont thnk its a good idea to drill a hole in OSX & ios for the sake of those worthless , lack of class users 
  • EzhikEzhik Posts: 707Member
    koban4max said:
    who cares the outsiders? u mean those guys with their big flat cheap junk plastic device  ?  i dont thnk its a good idea to drill a hole in OSX & ios for the sake of those worthless , lack of class users 
    "Sorry, but we can't be together anymore. I just can't be with somebody that uses a different computer from mine."